Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A SERIES OF TUBES

As Alaskan porker Ted Stevens once said, "The internet is not something that you can just dump something on." But fellow Alaskan civil servant Sarah Palin didn't take that advice, and so a few of the folks over at the /b/ board on the largely lawless 4Chan website (or /b/tards, as they are affectionately known) decided that invasion of privacy laws are for little people and broke into Alaskan governor and VP nominee Sarah Palin's email account on Yahoo, which the New York Times alleges she used to avoid FOIA subpoenas.

The screencaps of her account were almost immediately taken down, but "almost immediately" is like, years in internet world. Manhattan media blog Gawker picked them up, and since this is both depressing and newsworthy, they will be all over the internet very soon (click to enlarge).

"This is a shocking invasion of the Governor's privacy and a violation of law," says to McCain-Palin campaign manager Rick Davis. "The matter has been turned over to the appropriate authorities and we hope that anyone in possession of these e-mails will destroy them. We will have no further comment."

And I hope that anyone in possession of a winning lottery ticket will turn it over to me, but the chances are slim. Sadly for Mr. Davis, having nothing to do with the theft of this information I am free to post as much of it as I want, due to pesky amendments like that great big one at the beginning.

Accordingly, here is real live proof that Sarah Palin was using her personal email address to conduct government business, along with a screencap via Gawker, which has the rest of the emails and quite a bit of other material, altered to redact the Sean Parnell's email address (c'mon, guys, that's no way to behave). Palin's account is closed for the duration, so no point in hiding it. Send an email to gov.palin@yahoo.com for a bounceback proving that she has closed the account, presumably destroying evidence in the ongoing "Troopergate" investigation in the process.

From: Sean personal2
To: Sarah's Personal Email
Sent: Jul 23, 2008 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: Looks like it's my turn in dan's crosshairs

Yesterday, as I set the record straight on my support for you and my ads, Fagan asked if I supported ACES. I told him I did, gave my reasons why and now he's replaying it over and over next to my ad where I tell people I'm for lower taxes. (which was my legislative history, voted against a state income tax, fought Tony's long range financial plan that included five new taxes, didn't raise taxes when oil was at 9 dollars a barrel, cut spending instead.)

It got ugly and will be.

---

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:14 AM

From: gov.palin@yahoo.com
To: "Sean personal2"
Subject: Re: Looks like it's my turn in dan's crosshairs

Arghhh! He is so inconsistent and purposefully misleading! I am sorry Sean. He can keep trying, but you are the right one for the congressional position and he KNOWS it (that's the inconsistency!)…remember how he said it all only really matters on matters like LIFE, honesty, ability, etc…all those things you are (as opposed to attributes of your opponents)? He knows you fit all of this, and conservatives', and Alaskans' criteria. His fighting you reveals some evil stuff going on with him. Does he want someone OPPOSED to the life issue in Congress? NOT capable of working with both parties? NOT experienced and capable and standing strong on all the right issues?

I am so sorry he does this.

No comments: